With WordPress gaining in popularity, there are many out there eager to learn all they can. I get emails several times each and every day asking where I would recommend WordPress newbies can start to read and learn. And I love that!! Getting contacted by those who actually want to make the effort to read and learn makes me want to do a happy dance!
The best resource of all is WordPress.org and areas within that are neatly categorized based on your area of interest. Here’s the rundown:
- Blogs: Development Blog and WordPress Planet is an aggregation of blogs talking about WordPress from around the world.
- How Tos and Documentation: including the most asked for How to Install WordPress and How to Upgrade WordPress
- Support Forum: If you are wondering if something is possible or just need a little assistance from those who are more experienced and willing to help, check out the forums. Here is where you can find out how to customize or edit WordPress.
Make an effort to really seek out what you are looking for before jump to post and blurt out your questions. While searching you may notice questions that are asked and that go unanswered. When you see this you can bet that the question has most likely been asked and answered before. Forum members do not take kindly to having to repeat themselves to folks who don’t want to take the time to look for the answers they seek.
- Plugins: including the most asked for WordPress photo gallery plugina, WordPress shopping carts.
- Themes: Many beautiful themes are listed however, do your due diligence and be sure to check out the developer’s site to see how experienced they are and if they keep their themes updated, debugged and supported.
I have a list of my favorite WordPress Premium Theme developers here. You can even investigate How to Develop Your Own WordPress Themes too.
There’s the skinny! Read and learn!